Steam mops are certainly a very convenient way to clean floors. But are they any good at killing germs?
Most steam mops claim to kill 99.9% of germs. If a steam mop only kills 99% of germs, then we can say that a steam mop is better than using a mop and bucket.
No doubt it is also a cleaning solution for getting rid of germs and bacteria in your home. They are considered to be a healthy alternative to chemical-based cleaners because they don’t make use of any harsh chemicals.
This blog will look at how steam mops work and if it’s a good choice for keeping germs out of your house.
Steam an Effective Sanitizer
Steam cleaning might seem like a cool idea, but using your steam cleaner incorrectly can create many kinds of problems.
The truth is that some people use their steam cleaners to try to sanitize their household surfaces and depending on what kind of soil you have, this can result in streaking or completely misshaped floors – like if you don’t fill the tank with enough water for example!
That’s no good, and if your steam cleaner doesn’t create enough heat (like a child might want to use it without supervision), then there are usually no benefits at all.
If people misuse their steam cleaners, they may be putting themselves and others at risk. the EPA recommends cleaning your kitchen surfaces with a disinfectant that can kill germs at 160°F (71°C).
But here is something you might not know about sturdy surfaces. When it comes to killing 99.9% of germs, high-pressure steam cleaners are just as effective as traditional methods like household cleaners or bleach which often come with fumes and other toxic ingredients.
Many hospitals use steam as a powerful way to disinfect floors and the protective gear that doctors and nurses wear.
This is because steam’s intense heat breaks apart the enzymes and proteins in bacteria and viruses (similar to how cooking affects food).
The fact that it kills both germs on surfaces, as well as many forms of life, makes this a sanitizing method that’s highly favored by healthcare professionals around the globe.
Benefits of Steam Cleaning
- Steam cleaning may be a new concept to those who aren’t familiar with the term, but with the ability to remove 99.9% of germs from a surface alone, it’s hard to go back to other types of cleaning once you’ve had your first session up close and personal!
- Not only is this an effective approach for home and car owners but there are also several more reasons as to why you too should consider steam cleaning as a viable option beyond just these benefits.
- You can use steam to clean most surfaces, even carpets. Many people only think of using it to clean their floors, but in reality, you can use it to sanitize doorknobs, kitchen appliances, or bathroom fixtures for example via a steam mop.
- You can also use it to sanitize a mattress, windows, or children’s toys. Steam is great for cleaning out so much more around your houses like pet products and vehicle interiors; you simply never know just how useful this cleaning tool may be until after you have experienced its versatility firsthand.
- Steam is a powerful and useful tool when it comes to cleaning. However, not all steam cleaners have the same capabilities so it’s important to do some research before you decide on which one best suits your needs.
- If allergies are making life hard for you, here are some reasons why steam cleaning might just make a big difference. For example, steam cleaners can get rid of dust mites or other allergens in your home which may be prime causes of allergies and asthma!
Can we add Chemicals to a Steam Cleaner?
You must go over the manual for your steam cleaner. This way, you will be aware of what its use guidelines are about chemicals and additives.
When cleaning the floor with a steam mop, most of us would opt to use either a detergent or a chemical-based solution as part of the process.
It’s tempting to think that adding another layer of chemicals to the cleaning mechanism is going to lead to a more effective and thoroughly clean.
However, this isn’t always the case. Furthermore, adding such solutions is also the number one cause for slippery floors and sticky residues after using a steam cleaner – making it even harder in the long run to maintain it all.
So remember that never add anything but water to your steam cleaner as it will damage the tank and prevent it from operating efficiently.
Only use products or essential oils after you have already got all the dirt off beforehand by using a cleaning agent.
FAQs Related Do Steam Mop Kill Germs?
A steam mop is a great tool to help you clean your floors effectively and quickly. No doubt it is a great way to clean your floors without having to wrangle a big, heavy mop and bucket.
Because steam mops use steam to kill germs and sanitize your floors, they are a great choice for those who have kids or pets. We hope that you have learned something new about steam mops in this post like Do Steam Mop Kill Germs.
We are always excited to learn new information about cleaning products, especially those that will help us keep our home free from nasty germs and bacteria.
We hope that you’re able to take some of these tips and use them to help clean your home more efficiently.