If you are looking to buy any type of air purifier, then you will see many models with different types of filters.
It is important to know how often you need to clean the air purifier filter, how to clean it, and which method is the best for cleaning the air purifier filter.
No doubt cleaning of air purifier filter is very important to keep the purifier running with optimum performance.
If we clean the air purifier filter regularly then it will help to keep your indoor air fresh and clean, and you will be free from diseases and allergies.
In this blog, we are looking at how to clean air purifier filters safely and effectively.
Types of filters
There are generally two types of filter
- washable filter
Related Post: 10 Best Corded Stick Vacuum Cleaners
Having a clean furnace and air purifier filters not only keeps dust and allergies out of your home but also keeps the filtration working its best.
Usually, there is a washable HEPA pre-filter which is reusable meaning you can clean it then re-install it to your air purifier.
Sometimes, using hot water might be necessary to get rid of some of the more stubborn particles from your air filter.
This can be done if it’s really dirty though we suggest not using boiling water as this could damage your specific make and model of the air filter.
We recommend using warm soapy water followed by a rinse several times with cold tap water to get rid of all the soap.
Some air purifiers restrict their users to wash the air filters, so make sure you have read the user manual carefully. Compressed air or a stiff brush may be used to clean your air filters.
If they happen to get dirty you can easily vacuum them. However, is a relatively simple process and will help to keep your home not just smelling good but feeling fresh and healthy Let’s use the sun!
The best way to “clean” the carbon air filter is, by applying it directly to the sunlight. You’ve probably heard for ages about how beneficial it is for humans as well as many various plants alike.
However, did you know that it could also benefit you too and could be used within your home too? Due to its ability to neutralize bacteria from all over our homes
Steps to clean filter
There are different steps to clean your air purifier filter
Check manufacturer instructions
Air filter systems are used to make sure that the air quality inside a building is healthy. However, when setting them up, it is possible for the instructions provided with each air filter system not to be clear enough.
Check manufacturer instructions first, before buying the filters and installing them into your HVAC system. Firstly you need to pull impure air at pre-filter, then a carbon filter, and finally a HEPA filter.
Open up your air filter
Almost all air filter covers have tabs that make them easy to open and close/remove. This is the present backside of the filter and will require you to loosen it via hand before you can pull it off. Air filters require screws to remove, so if your specific model doesn’t open easily with a tab then you may need some use of a screwdriver.
If you are unable to open the air filter cover from your device, simply check the manual or perform an online search for specific instructions on how to take off this type of filter, or also ask for help on any forums to which you subscribe.
Remove your old filter
An air filter is a fantastic thing to have in your home but can be quite messy if you’re not careful. After removing the old filters and disposing of them, be sure to place the dust into a bag so that clean air can continue to circulate freely in and out of your house.
Fix New Air Filter Cover:
Some air filters require that their cover be replaced after they have been installed. After you have completed your installation, replace the filter cover.
Be sure to secure the screws with their respective guide holes in order for the filter to operate properly.
Use Vacuum Cleaner for Non-washable Filters
- Remove the filter from your air purifier. Many air purifiers use non-washable HEPA filters, which means they can last anywhere between 8 and 12 months.
- Turn off and unplug your appliance before accessing the filter. Check your product manual for specific instructions on how to access your appliance’s filter.
Related Post: 8 Best Air Purifier for Cigarette Smoke
- Ensure your machine uses high-quality filters. High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) filters need to be professionally cleaned after around 6 months of usage, or sooner if the filter becomes clogged with dust and other allergens. In addition to this, it’s a good idea to regularly wash all other filters: at least one foam or activated charcoal filter typically accompanies a non-washable HEPA filter.
Related Post: 8 Best HEPA Vacuum Cleaner
- Use a vacuum cleaner nozzle or brush attachment to clean your non-washable HEPA filter. For added control, you can use a vacuum cleaner accessory with a long hose. Pass the vacuum tool over the HEPA filter surface from one side to the other until all surface debris is removed.
Related Post: 5 Best Vacuums Under 100$
- Reassemble your appliance, be sure not to forget any filter pieces. You can clean the HEPA filter and let it dry completely before putting all the pieces back together in your air purifier again. Make sure you reset the electronic reminder if it has one after cleaning this filter as well.
FAQs Related How to Clean Air Purifier Filter?
It’s common for a lot of air purifiers to get dirty after a few months of usage. Even if your purifier comes with a reminder to clean its filter, a lot of people leave it for a long time before cleaning it.
A lot of folks do not realize the need of cleaning a purifier filter. Thus, when they are very dirty, they end up buying a new purifier.
Air purifiers remove dust, odor, pollutants, and mold from the air. Regular maintenance is needed in order to keep the device free from dust and allergens.
To save your money and make sure that your purifier system is working for a long, you should know when to clean the purifier filter.
If you take good care of your purifier, you should be able to get up to 6 months or more of high performance from it.
Here we had discussed the steps needed to clean the air purifier filter. I hope after reading this article you will understand how to clean air purifier filters.