Did you ever find yourself in a situation where you vigorously want to disinfect your carpet but have not any steam cleaner?
We can understand your frustration. But there’re still many other ways that are quite simpler, easy to handle and less time taking how to disinfect carpet without steam cleaner?
A steam cleaner is quite expensive and difficult to carry or handle. Not everyone affords to have a steam cleaner for carpet cleaning or disinfection which let them think about how to deep clean the carpet without steam cleaner?
Here, we are going to discuss some alternative methods including home remedies or other techniques and tactics to disinfect the carpet conveniently.
Let’s have a look at these home remedies or tactics how to disinfect carpet without steam cleaner:
A General Method to Deep Clean the Carpet Without Steam Cleaner
Definitely, steam cleaning is a quite easier way to clean the carpet but if you don’t have a steam cleaner or want to disinfect your carpet by hand. Here’s the general procedure to do it by yourself but prepare yourself to get dirty and dusty after all this.
So, to disinfect your carpet, all you need is:
- A bucket
- A scrubbing brush
- Baking soda
- An old rag or cloth
Related Article: How to Steam Clean Carpet?
Clear the Carpeted Area
Remove all the furniture and other material being placed on the carpet. Make the whole space clear. Now vacuum the carpet in order to remove all the dirt and dust from the carpet in all four directions but quiet in slow motion.
Related Article: Best Vacuum under 100$
Preparation of Mixture
Now, prepare a mixture of cold water, vinegar, and dish detergent in a bucket and mixed them thoroughly until you get a foamy solution of it.
Therefore, I recommend you apply it firstly on some unnoticeable areas of the carpet in order to check the accuracy of the mixture on the carpet. Because, in some cases, mostly in wool or silk rugs, this mixture would damage your carpet. So let it check before use.
Start Scrubbing the Carpeted Area
In order to scrub the carpet, take the scrubbing brush and make it dip in the foamy solution, we have prepared earlier. Scrub the carpet by starting from one corner of the carpet and moving towards the opposite corner of the carpet.
Try not to make the carpet more wet or tilted. We just need to make the carpet a little wet to remove the stains on it
Rinsing the Carpet
Next, take the cold clean water in the bucket again and use the rag or cloth to sip in it, and move on the carpet from one corner to the other in order to remove the dirt and dust the scrubbing has taken off the carpet. After doing this, repeat the process three to four times by re-saturating the rag.
Drying the Carpet
After scrubbing and rinsing the carpet, dry the carpet on a sunny day or by using a dryer. Drying the carpet on a dry sunny day is quite faster as compared to all other techniques.
Vacuuming the Carpet
Moving ahead, we need to vacuum the carpet again so that if there’s any dust particle, dirt or fluff left behind on the carpet, get caught by the vacuum.
Disinfecting the Carpet
Last but not the least, disinfect the carpet by making a solution of water and sanitizer in a spray bottle and spray the solution on the whole carpet and space slowly and thoroughly.
How to Remove Loose Dirt and Dust?
Before disinfecting the carpet, it is much needed to clean the loose dirt and dust from the carpet by using a dustpan and a broom containing firm spikes.
For low heap carpet, it is easier to make it clean with a broom but for denser, high heaped carpets, a little bit more hard work or patience must be required to remove the dirt embedded in the fibers of the carpet.
Tighten the spikes of the broom with a rubber band to bind the broom more rigidly in order to micro-clean the carpet.
Hand Cleaning of Spots
Sometimes, accidents occur and carpets get stained. Therefore, clean them instantly. As it is easier to clean the spots instantly rather than embedded ones by hand:
- First, dry the stain with an undyed absorptive cloth and blot the stain.
- Secondly, add a carpet cleaner spray, powder, or liquid solution on the mop or absorptive cloth.
- Dab the spot surface again and again until the spot gets disappeared.
- Rinse the spot to remove the unnecessary debris.
- Vacuum the area to dry the wet surface area of the carpet.
Natural Disinfection of Carpet
If you don’t want to use industrial chemicals for cleaning the carpet, you can use home remedies to remove the spots and stains from the carpet.
For this purpose, we normally use vinegar or baking powder to remove the stain or spot, whereas salt can be used for the better absorption of the stain and essential oils for a better smell from the carpet
Natural disinfection is preferred as it does not contain any chemical product affecting the carpet in any manner. But sometimes, it may cause the discoloration of the carpet due to vinegar.
Cleaning Carpet with Vinegar
If you aren’t able to steam clean your carpet, you can still disinfect your carpet by using a simple home remedy that is cheap and convenient.
All you need to disinfect your carpet with vinegar is;
- A bucket
- A scrub brush
- Warm water
At the start, fill one part of the bucket with vinegar and three parts with warm water. Make a solution.
Now, dip the cloth or rag in the solution and clean the spot or stain on the carpet slowly but thoroughly. After sometime, again dip in the solution and start dabbing it on the carpet.
Then, rinse the solution on the carpet and let it dry for some time.
Disinfecting Carpet with Baking Soda
Disinfecting the carpet with baking soda is one of the simplest ways to clean the spots or stains on the carpet. Things you need while doing this procedure are only;
- Baking soda
- Warm water
The process is so easy to do. Just put the baking soda on the spot or stain directly and spray some warm water with the help of a sprayer.
Let it stay there for almost three to four hours, baking soda will soak it up and absorb the spots and stains on it. After rinsing, use the vacuum cleaner to vacuum the dirt and baking soda from the carpet.
Agitating the Carpet with Carpet Brush
Another easy method to get rid of soil, dirt, dust, or pollutants on your carpet, agitate your carpet with a carpet brush. It is quite convenient to sit on your knees and use your elbow grease to remove the soil, dust, and pollutants present on the surface of the carpet.
Shampooing the Carpet
Well, disinfecting the carpet with shampoo is one of the oldest methods to use. But it is still effective and less time-consuming. It removes the stains and spots which are quite older or deeply embedded.
But its drying time is much longer than normal. That’s why it is not preferable more, nowadays.
Using Snow for Disinfecting the Carpet
Icy white snow is one of the effective ways to disinfect the carpet without using a steam cleaner. We need the material for this procedure is as follow;
- Rug or cloth cleaner
- Take the carpet outside and shake it well till the dust is removed. Then, let it placed there for at least one hour in the snow at 300C.
- Collect ice and place it on the surface of the carpet. Spread it on the carpet evenly and let it be there for a specific time period.
- Beat the carpet softly with a broom to solidify the dust in the carpet with the help of ammonia present in the snow.
- Let the snow be on the carpet for at least twenty minutes and then flip it up.
- Repeat the process three times.
- Rinse and vacuum the carpet in order to dry the carpet.
Heavy Stain Solution
If you want to remove a small but heavy and tough stain, we need;
- Warm water
- Paper cloth or towel
- Fan to dry
- Dish wash, baking soda, vinegar, and salt
- Scrub brush
- Scratching material like a hard card
To remove the heavy and tough stain, you should start with;
- First of all, put on gloves if there’s some unhygienic stain on the carpet.
- If there is a fluid or liquid beaded on the carpet, scratch it with the scratching material.
- Now, drop the solution of dish wash, salt, vinegar, and baking soda to remove the stain from the carpet.
- Use the scrub to soften the paste on the floor.
- Dab the carpet with a paper cloth or towel until you properly clear the stain from the carpet.
- Then you need to use the vacuum so that the area gets dried.
- If still the carpet left wet, turn on the fan to dry it completely.
Larger Area of Carpet’s Disinfection
Well, having a larger home sweet home is a dream of almost each and every person existing on this Earth but it is not an easy task to get clean or disinfect the larger area as it needs more time, attention, and hard work too.
So you must follow the tricks described below to get it clean and clear:
- First, remove all the stains you spotted wherever on the floor or carpet.
- Use the vacuum to collect the dust and debris on the carpet in all directions.
- Now, make a solution of baking soda in essential oil with a small quantity of lemon squeezed into the solution.
- Put the solution on the carpet for almost half an hour.
- This solution will absorb the germs and help to give the carpet an odor.
- Again, vacuum the carpet to remove the dust, debris, and the solution left over.
How to Disinfect Carpeted Stairs Without a Machine?
If you have a multi-story house, you know very well about how earlier the carpet on the stairs gets dirty. So, it is very necessary to make it clean after a specific time interval.
In order to get it clean, you need:
- Warm water
- Table salt
- Lavender oil
Now start disinfecting the carpet by using the following steps:
- First of all, make a mixture of a measured quantity of vinegar, hot water, and table salt, and lavender oil in a bucket.
- Put the mixture on the carpeted stairs and stay there for few hours.
- Now, use the scrub brush to scrub the carpet hence, to remove the dirt and debris embedded on the stairs.
- When all the dust gets removed, use the vacuum to collect the dirt collected from the carpet.
- While cleaning the stairs, always remember to start from the top of the stairs and moving downwards gradually.
Related Article: Best Vacuum for Stairs
Disinfecting the Dog’s Poop from the Carpet
Many of us love to have pets, especially dogs at their home. But we all know about having a pet at home demands getting it clean and disinfect time by time. Definitely, it is a pleasant job for them but still, it needs speed.
Whenever your dog poop or peep on the carpet, make it clean and disinfect instantly by
- Scrubbing the carpet by scrubbing brush
- Disinfecting with a detergent or soap solution
- Use a vinegar solution or baking soda
Tips about Maintaining a Clean and Germ-free Carpet
To be honest, it worth the energy to take the task to clean and disinfect the carpet. So whenever you did it, try to make it clean and tidy for a longer time period. As the presence of children and pets is crucial, you need to be more attentive while having time with them.
Not only that, but accidents are also a part of daily life. Therefore, to keep your carpet neat and clean, you need to follow some tips and tricks which are as below:
- Whenever you get a spot or stain on the carpet. Work instantly and make it clean immediately before it gets embedded on the carpet.
- Try to keep the shoes of each and every person in the home away from the carpet so that it does not get dirty earlier.
- Make it possible not to eat on the carpet, but you eat on the carpet, there are chances of getting carpet spotted or stained, be quick to make it clean.
- If you are a pet lover and have pets at home, try to keep them clean and disinfect your carpet and floor time by time to save yourself from several injuries.
From looking above, whatever we discussed, it makes clear one point that you can disinfect your carpet without a steam cleaner. A steam cleaner is not necessary to make your carpet clean and tidy.
Instead, there are several other ways and tricks by using which you can easily disinfect or clean your carpet at home without a machine. No doubt, it is very cheap, easy to handle, and quick to do.
You should read other blogs on our website to know about the cleaning process at home.